We are a people who love to serve our community near and far.
We believe we “are church” when we serve.
Reading Changes Lives
Our Reading Changes Lives literacy team shares our love of reading and books through a multi-faceted, fun, life-giving, life-changing ministry that “Builds and Serves Community in Christ’s Name.” Church volunteers curate and staff the library at The Roosevelt Elementary School in Hyde Park, host an annual Trick-or-Treat for Books and Holiday Book Fair, Story & Craft Time, and cultivate our Little Free Library to serve its mission “to build community, inspire readers, and expand book access for all.“
We have more detail on the Reading Changes Lives initiative on this page.
Clothing Drop-Off Shed
Our newest mission partner is St. Pauly Textile, Inc., with whom we host a shed in a corner of our church parking lot, to collect usable clothing, shoes, belts, purses, blankets, sheets, curtains, pillowcases and stuffed animals that will be shipped whole garment to be worn or used by someone, somewhere in the world. St. Pauly Textile, Inc. empties and cleans up the shed once a week so that the donations can be redistributed, in bulk, in the most cost-effective way, to sorting and shipping companies who contract with relief organizations, private companies, and government agencies worldwide.
We also serve locally with our time, talent, and treasure as we partner with:
- Milton Coalition: Addressing Substance Use • Promoting Mental Health
- Milton Food Pantry
- Milton Interfaith Clergy Association (for refugee resettlement)
- Interfaith Social Services
- Dove Inc.
- Quincy Family Resource Center
- The Pine Street Inn
- City Mission
- Greater Boston Food Bank
- Massachusetts Interfaith Power and Light
Serving Beyond our Local Community
We serve our church’s wider mission regionally, nationally, and internationally through our giving to the United Church of Christ. Our proportional giving to our Southern New England Conference of the UCC includes fifty percent of our annual mission/benevolence pledged giving dollars to support:
- Disaster relief nationally and worldwide
- Global ministry and joint witness in mission with the Disciples of Christ including approximately 290 faith-based international partners in more than 80 countries
- Resourcing gifted and accountable leadership for all settings of the church
- Provoking and encouraging innovation in local congregations across the country
- Public policy advocacy seeking justice for all on Capitol Hill
- Living the love and justice of Jesus to the ends of the earth