Donating to the ISS Backpack Drive
Quincy's Interfaith Social Services' food pantry serves about 750 school-age children each month! Every year the organization solicits help for a back-to-school backpack drive for those children. For many years East Church has answered this call. The Benevolence Committee hopes you will offer your support this year.
The absolute deadline this year is Sunday, August 18. The backpacks and supplies will be delivered to ISS on Monday, August 19. (But we hope you won't wait until the last minute!)
Read more about this project, straight from the source. (But ignore the July 24 deadline - we have been granted an extension!)
If you can assemble one or more fully stuffed backpacks, hooray and thank you.
You can also donate an empty backpack, or shop for some of the supplies listed below and let East Church people complete the package.
As a third option, you can make a financial contribution and let us use it to do the shopping. (Checks should be made out to East Congregational Church; be sure to write “backpacks” in the memo area.)
There is a need for “Big Kids” (grades 6-12) and “Little Kids” (grades K-5). If you do assemble a complete backpack, please be sure to clearly label it as either "Big Kid" or "Little Kid" to expedite the distribution process.
ALL backpacks should include:
- three (3) spiral notebooks
- one (1) composition notebook
- two (2) pocket folders
- one (1) package of #2 pencils
- one (1) box of tissues
- plus… a backpack to contain the supplies!
In addition to the items listed above ("ALL backpacks…"), here are supply recommendations suggested by ISS for grade K-5 students' backpacks:
- one (1) package of colored pencils
- one (1) package of washable markers
- one (1) package of crayons
- four (4) glue sticks
- one (1) package of Clorox wipes
In addition to the items listed above ("ALL backpacks…"), here are supply recommendations suggested by ISS for grade 6-12 students' backpacks:
- one (1) scientific calculator (Texas Instruments TI-30X IIS or similar)
- one (1) package of index cards - 100 count
- one (1) package of pens (black or blue, no gell)
- two (2) highlighters
- one (1) 2-inch three-ring binder with dividers
- one (1) combination lock